About your job
We are looking for a creative, daring and entrepreneurial mind to strengthen our core team.
At BioStrand, data engineers design the fundamental architecture of our platform technology. This means strategic thinking has to be your mindset.
We need your knowhow on analytical engine development to build a scalable SaaS system. You translate the algorithms of the data science team into robust, available cloud solutions. At all times you keep an eye on the system’s entropy and guard it against spiraling down into chaos.
So, join us and put your mark on the backbone of our technology! You have an active role in the development process of our AWS cloud platform.
You will work in close collaboration with core team members. You will report on your progress directly to the CTO.
Together, we will build the genomic analysis tools of the future!
Who are you?
- You have a Masters’ degree in Computer Science engineering or Informatics or equivalent
- You are trained in or you have extensive experience with supporting cloud-native / SaaS software and you are familiar with AWS. You gained experience through executing multiple projects in different fields
- You have experience in application lifecycle management, continuous integration and necessary tools (Jira, Git, GKE etc.)
- You are trained in typed programming languages such as Go(Lang). Knowledge of Python is a plus. You know how to organise and write code to make it easy testable
- You have a good overview of the pros and cons of different storage engines (ElasticSearch, Redis, MongDB, PostgreSQL, ...). So, you can make well informed decisions on what is needed to drive the backend services
- You have ample experience with distributed systems and service oriented architectures. You know how to deploy them reliably and understand their inherent complexities to keep them available and know how to deal with failures. You have first-hand experience in trouble shooting for distributed systems, i.e. partial failures, unreliable networks, unreliable clocks... Consistency, availability and partition tolerance are no strange terms to you
- You are familiar with decomposing applications in services, e.g. using domain-driven design
- You have experience with different data communication modes such as REST, gRPC, message-passing...
- Often overlooked, but very important due to the data we work with, you know how to implement proper security across the whole platform according to industry standards
- You are a dynamic self-starter; you are agile in planning and organizing your work
- You have strong written and oral communication skills in English
- You feel comfortable working in a fast-paced cross-functional environment
- You are an excellent team player, open to giving and receiving ideas, perspectives and feedback
What's in it for you?
We offer you a full-time job based in the area around Hasselt University. You will be part of the dynamic core team of an amazing start-up company with huge ambitions.
This means there is a lot of space for personal initiative and growth opportunities.
You will have an important role in disrupting –OMICS analysis and change the industry standards.
We offer you an opportunity to stand out and use all your creativity. Your effort is valued through a competitive remuneration package.